Thursday, March 23, 2006

We're back!

I know, some of you didn't even know we were gone. But we're back from our quick 3-day trip to Seoul with our friend Evonne! We did a lot of shopping, saw a lot of stuff, and had a good time overall. Seoul has nearly 24-hour shopping; when I asked an information girl what time the store closed, she said 5. Since it was 9 pm when I asked, that answer was a little strange! But yes indeed, the high-rise department stores close at 5 a.m. We had some kimchi (cooked cabbage in red-pepper sauce), noodles, KFC, and of course, Starbucks! Here's Jackie and I during late-night shopping:


We also saw a lot of temples and palaces. Quite interesting, and very ornate! However, I can't help thinking that European cathedrals and palaces from the same age are more impressive. But maybe I'm biased... Here's a nice shot of the emperor's palace:

There are more pictures or our trip on links to the right. Just a few, since I'm more into video than still photography anymore. Sorry!

As far as shopping is concerned, I'm embarrassed to say I was the big winner this time around. Not only did I find a nice Detroit Lions jersey for $9, but much more impressively, I found these:


Actually, it was Jackie who found them. Well, "tripped" over them is more true-to-life! We were walking along, looking for interesting things in different booths and vendors at a giant flea-market in the dirty streets, and stumbled upon these books.

I know, I know...so what?!? What's the big deal? Well, it just happens that these are THE standard modern commentary on Scripture, the International Critical Commentary on Scripture. Not that they're perfect, but they're almost always to be referenced and are a great starting point in understanding modern interpretation of the Bible. These volumes, new, typically run anywhere from $60-$110 apiece. It's a set I hope to buy a piece at a time, throughout the remainder of my brief existence. Even used, in less-than-great shape, they run about $40-$80 each. I got all twelve of these for $40 total; they're in immaculate condition, and 8/12 of them would have been my first choices. I don't think they've even been read; just a little dusty from sitting on somebody's shelf. I believe I could've gotten them for much less had I not started hyper-ventilating right there in the street. The shop-keeper, obviously ignorant as to what these books were, was clued in to their value by my ridiculously undisciplined reaction. So, when I asked how much, he reached for the stars and asked for $50 for all twelve. My blood pressure went up even more. Unable to contain myself, I made a weak counter of $35. We settled upon $40, and I couldn't shell out the Korean Wan fast enough. So, to sum up the story, I got about $900 worth of books for $40. Unbelievable. Evonne said I made that shop-keepers night. Let's just say it was a win-win situation!

And boy, they sure were heavy to lug around! But it was worth it. Every sore muscle and knuckle was worth it. The girls found a few small things, but were a little disappointed that they didn't find something special as well. Maybe next time!

Jackie and I thought Korea seemed much more nice, over-all, than Japan. It was a little more chaotic and dirty, but there was much more open country-side, the streets were nice and wide, and the city was more well-organized and open than Japan's crazy, crammed cities. The Korean people seemed much more socially comfortable and free than the Japanese, even if they were a little more brash and noisy. Also, they have a lot more western influence and restaurants. To Jackie's delight, we saw no less than 4 Outback restaurants in the city...and conveniently, there was one within easy walking distance from our hotel. It was a much-appreciated meal for the girl who lives for cheese and fried stuff. And I have to admit, that Outback Special steak tasted pretty good.

Next week, we're taking Evonne to Kyoto. We'll have much more news and pics for you then, I'm sure. Have a great week, and enjoy living in America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home