Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sayonara, Japan!

Though we leave Japan on Tuesday, I have to write our last post on Sunday, as I need to pack up our modem and ship it back to Yahoo! tomorrow. So, no more internet access, no more email, etc. At least, until we arrive at our hotel in San Francisco, that is! But there's a certain feeling of finality to it all.

The last week or two has been very busy with good-byes, last to-do's, etc. Here, Jackie and our friend Lisa are dressed up in traditional summer clothing (yukata) and learning the finer points of the Japanese Tea Ceremony. You might be skeptical, but in watching a Tea Ceremony Master perform her art, I was reminded of my Iaido teacher, who is a master of using the Japanese Sword. There were many striking resemblences between making tea and artfully using a sword. I've heard the same is true about caligraphy in Eastern cultures...watch an opponent draw words or make tea, and you learn about their sword technique, as well. I thought it was all a bunch of Hollywood hooey until I saw it for myself. Now I think there very well might be something to it all!

But, I digress. Don't Jackie and Lisa look great in their yukata? They're with their Japanese teacher (the girl in the bottom left) and their friends and the tea ceremony teacher, the lady in the middle. Jackie and Lisa really enjoyed themselves, and had a great day.
And here is a class picture of Jackie and her supervisor Fukioka sensei, and class 2-4. Thanks everyone for a great year! And thank you very much, Fujioka sensei. We'll miss you!!!

And here I am trying to be artful with the sword, though my caligraphy is awful. I'm sure that says more than enough about my ability with the katana! I didn't get to go to the dojo as much as I would have liked, but I really enjoyed learning what I could. Not only was it physically challenging, it was really rewarding to hear my master grunt when I got something right. I learned a lot about patience, precision, discipline, and teaching from him. What a great experience!

And though I frequently dreaded the food, eating lunch with the students was almost always a lot of fun. And after eating a huge meal, we'd then do the most natural thing in the world...go and play a game of soccer or dodge-ball! I'm surprised I didn't get more stomach cramps than I did. But the kids were always so enthusiastic and eager. Can't go wrong there.

Here is my home-away-from-home, Hisayama Junior High School. I came to be very comfortable there, and am a bit sad I won't get to see it again. The students and staff were wonderful!

Here is my good buddy, Yahiro sensei. He and I shared many a laugh together, and I really enjoyed helping him teach special ed. We did a lot of English lessons, cooking lessons, etc. together. And, he makes a really nice pair of hand-made chopsticks! Thanks for being such a great friend.

And last but certainly not least, M-I-H-O S-E-N-S-E-I! (think mickey mouse) This Mickey-Mouse lover was always a good conversationalist, good friend, and all-around great gal, not to mention an avid lover of the stars and stripes and the American way! She's the most American Japanese person I know.

And here's a great guy, Honda sensei, who aptly sums up our experience in Japan!

So, good-bye, Japan! We'll miss you!

Nihon wa tano-shikata yo!

Mina ga dai-suki desu

Mina o wasuremasen

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita!!!!!

1 Comments:

At 6:04 AM , Blogger J said...

Hey! I just got your email and am glad you made it back okay. Things will definetly be tamer around the office without you to bicker with. I'm gonna miss that. Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed your time here and wish you the best of luck while you start your studies and new life in New York. Take care my friend.. I'll never forget this year -- in this life, or the next (well, provided there is one! haha).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home