Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I don't normally do this, but...

I'm going to try and cause a little trouble here on my blog.

With our upcoming birth, a lot of people are asking us if we'll do cloth or disposable diapers. The normal line is that cloth diapers are much better for the environment, and I believe some say they end up costing less than disposables.

Well, I'm not in a position to say whether or not cloth diapers cost a bit less (they very well might), but apparently, there's a new word on the environmental impact: a British government study concludes cloth diapers are no better for the environment than disposables. Click here for the full story. I've also seen similar stories lately on our local news here in New York.

So, for all who've asked (and I'm referring to several well-meaning friends and family), we'll be using disposable diapers. My mom described the process she used to clean cloth diapers, and before she was half-way finished describing the 27-step process, I was fully convinced cloth diapers were NOT worth our time and effort...especially now that I know using cloth diapers significantly benefits neither my family nor the environment!

Continuing on with the political side of things...

Of course, for the poor British, the above discovery comes after a government expenditure of over £30 million, spent on an environmental campaign to promote the use of cloth "nappys" in the interest of "saving" the planet from an avalanche of disposable diapers. Yet another example of inept government bureaucracy, and the ridiculous waste that can be brought about by overly-zealous and under-informed activism. I agree with a quote from a certain Colin Taylor, part of a watch-dog agency in London who commented in the above story, "This farcical waste of taxpayers' money shows how politicians are unable to run anything properly." Had the "cloth nappy" environmental activists done their homework and had the integrity to admit it was a bad idea, that enormous sum of money could have been spent on something more of us can agree as worth-while, such as the already under-funded National Health System or the maintenance of a museum or Cathedral or something. Or how about a university scholarship fund for poor kids? Maybe plant a few trees? (more like a forest, with that amount of money)

Of course, I fully agree that people have a perfect right to prefer cloth over disposables, and of course they have every right to persuade others to do the same; and of course, I fully advocate doing all that we can to be responsible with the environment. But come on, surely more research ought to be done before spending a fortune on an ill-conceived promotional campaign! Oh the ridiculous, unscientific things that are are done in the name of science! But I'm perfectly aware this is just how governments work... it's merely one indicator among millions that this world isn't perfect.

Thanks for reading!

ps- yes, belly pics will be up soon. We're awaiting official approval on which pictures are appropriate for public display.

pps- and I promise, this is as controversial as I'll ever get on this blog. I don't believe in adding to the internet's seemingly infinite cesspool of unsolicited opinion, but I couldn't pass on this story's relevance and timing. Too fun!

8 Comments:

At 12:04 PM , Blogger Khara Brooks said...

Well, you know my stance on this. I don't have time at the moment to read the link you've provided, but I can't imagine how cloth couldn't be better for the environment, not only because it takes disposables forever to break down, but also because most people don't know that you are supposed to flush poo down the toilet regardless of the type of diapers you use, and that poo ends up in our ground water.

My reasons go beyond that though. There are chemicals in disposables that are harmful to children. Everything that touches your skin like that gets absorbed. Also, it's much easier to let your ki sit in pee longer in a disposable because they are so much more absorbant. And disposables do not allow the air flow that cloth does, resulting in the "area" getting too hot, possibly causing infertility problems in males (rates have gone way up since the 70s when disposables were introduced). Personally, I'd rather have cloth between my legs than crunchy paper that turns into squishy gel. Not only that, cloth has changed DRAMATICALLY since we were babies. Most cloth diapering parents don't do the old fashioned prefolds, pins and rubber pants anymore. They have several styles that are actually very cute and easy. There are all-in-one diapers, for example, that work JUST like a disposable and all you have to do is wash them. I prefer pockets, however, because you can stuff them with as much or as little stuff as you want. My wash cycle is simple. One cold rinse with 1/4c. vinegar. One wash with 1/2 the regular amount of Purex Free and Clear detergent, then a few drops of tea tree oil in the rinse. They come out looking bright and smelling great!

Do what you will. It's your baby. I'm probably one of those people you're referring to here, and I'd already said I wouldn't bring it up again unless asked, but I'm taking this as you asking (though I hope I didn't come off pushy in the beginning). I'm just saying there are MANY advantages to cloth, and I do think that there should be more awareness. You say there are better things to spend our money on, but strictly politically speaking, we're already spending too much money on bogus stuff. In my humble opinion, being good stewards of God by helping the environment is no piddly cause. Furthermore, it bugs me that Americans would rather use replicas of the real thing because it's simpler. Paper/gel instead of cloth. Formula instead of breastmilk. Bottles instead of breasts. Call me a hippy, but I don't like where this is going. And what will this place be like when our kids are having kids? Matt's siblings live down the street from a landfill, and driving past that thing and smelling it might change your tune a bit. Maybe not, but I'm just saying....

That said, I hope I didn't come off rude here. I just feel strongly about this, and I would have never used disposable diapers as long as I did had I known the information I know now.

 
At 12:18 PM , Blogger Khara Brooks said...

Okay, I quickly read that article now that my kids are calm (for a second). If the problems lie in the water usage and the emissions for vehicles, then why not use some of that money to manufacture more hybrid cars and high efficiency washers? From the research I've done, washing diapers generally takes no more than equivalent of flushing your toilet a few extra times a week. And the pollution from vehicles can easily be solved by buying and washing your own diapers rather than going through a service. I wash my diapers every other day, so only 3-4 extra loads a week. That's not bad considering the amount of laundry I have to do to begin with.

(Those deleted comments are from me, by the way. I'm a spelling/grammar nazi, and I still see a mistake a made in the above post, but oh well.)

 
At 12:16 AM , Blogger Jeremy said...

I agree, there are many good reasons for using cloth. I think they're wonderful! I was merely writing on the environmental impact (neither is better or worse than the other), and our own choice on the matter, sort of an FYI. My criticism was directed towards wasting government money, not people who like cloth diapers. And if a new miracle diaper technology comes out that is less toxic than cloth or disposables, I'd love to give it a try. I'm not saying money shouldn't be spent on environmental campaigns... I would just prefer they spend the money promoting things that actually help the environment.

Our choosing disposables is not a criticism of those choosing cloth, and I would hope those who choose cloth wouldn't criticize those who choose disposables. Countless parents prefer one or the other, and their kids are none the worse for wear.

This blog entry is not directed at anybody in particular! (unless you're one of those people who lobbies government for this and other programs based on faulty science)

I agree, another good use for that money would have been developing clean fuel technology, or energy efficient appliances.

But I knew this issue would be sure to stoke some fires, irking loving and caring parents like yourself, hence my warning at the top of the post! Happy blogging!!

 
At 8:28 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

Every item on this planet, man-made or natural, has its ups and downs. I say choose what will make you feel less frazzled, you'll have your hands full without having to think about diaper types! Get those pics up soon!

 
At 8:31 PM , Blogger Khara Brooks said...

No worries. I'm not offended. And I'll admit, I was reading bits and pieces while checking on the kids, so I may not have gotten the full idea of what you were getting at. LOL.

 
At 11:31 PM , Blogger Lady Nunn said...

I think the criticism of the government money waste is spot on - having lived in England I know first hand how "well" tax money is spent. bah!

As for the environmental impact... well, one of the big reasons we use cloth is for the environment. yes it takes water to wash, but honetsly? Very little. And when Iw eight the extra use of water - a renewable resource - against filling the landfill with plastic that never goes away? I'll pick the lesser of two environmelntal sins.

But really? SO! CUTE! And soft! Philip never cared, but lordy does Henry have sensitive skin and cloth is sooo much nicer on his bum.

Also also - cleaning is a breeze, I'm lazy and it is easy. Put it on. Dump poop in toilet. Throw in washer. Throw in dryer.

Pretty much just like washing a t-shirt. Minus the poop. Hopefully.

;) Like you said - to each his own - and of course I'm not sayin your way is bad (Philip was in disposables his whole life) - - just offering another viewpoint!

Oh and also? We added up the cost of having Philip in disposable nappies for 3 years plus the cost of wipes and it was just over $3,000. We've fitted Henry out with cloth for his whole life for just under $800. Woo hoo!


Oh one more thing?? Welcome to one of the joys of parenting - EVERYONE has an opinion about what you're doing. ;)

 
At 12:04 AM , Blogger Indy Tribe said...

We used cloth diapers and they are just as easy. These aren't your momma's diapers anymore. BUT bottom line, you won't go to Hell for using disposables. Either option is great. Hang in there. There are many 'issues' like this in parenting. Make the one that is right for YOU. LOVE YOU!

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger Jeremy said...

One little detail I forgot to add... here at the school, we don't have our own washer and drier. Every load of wash is $1.50, and that doesn't include the dryer. Laundry adds up, for us. And yeah, if any of our kids have a sensitive bum or something, we'll obviously do whatever makes him/her most comfy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home